Saturday, March 13, 2010

Predators, Expendables, Machete, Tron! It's the 80's all over again!



The joys of staying up late.

I just happened upon the official website for Predators.

Go check it out and then we'll continue to talk?

Did you check out the sneak preview?

Awesome isn't it?

I know, I know, I shouldn't hype a movie too much before I see it but this is so far looks like the Predator movie I would make. Practical effects, a metric shit ton of bad asses, action!

It's one of those things that I miss in movies.

CG is great and all but some things just look better if it's a guy in a rubber suit. It's part of the reason I loved the Hellboy movies so much in their design. They really got how to mix cg with practical effects and my hope is Robert Rodriguez (who is know to be good at that stuff) instilled this esthetic to Predators direct Nimrod Atal.

Not to mention it's sticking to the original concepts that worked but tweeking them enough so it's a new movie and different then the old. But hopefully not going overboard like the first AvP film.

It's another sign that the 80's action flick is slowing working it's way in. If you listen to the show, you know how much I loved Rambo. Yeah in many ways it was a simple minded film but at least people bled when you shot them.

So we have Predators and then there is The Expendables.

We have every action star in the 80's and 90's in this film with the exception of three (JCVD, Segal and Kurt Russell). They've even thrown in two UFC fighters, Jason Statham and Mickey Rourke for good measure.

Things blow up, one liners are snappy, oh the glory.

Here's the trailer if you missed it:


Which leaves us with one that's coming in under the radar.

Machete.

Machete is kind of an interesting project as it spins out of a fake trailer in the totally under appreciated Grindhouse.


And the film version is essentially going to be this but longer.

And stars pretty much everyone that wasn't available for The Expendables. Some how Robert Rodriguez managed to even get Robert DeNiro in the flick.

But as you can tell by the original fake trailer, it's going to have some good old fashioned violence and one liners.

So I guess the 80's ensemble action flick is coming back.

Now all I need is a Tron sequel....oh WAIT!



It's like I'm 12 all over again!

No comments: